Running the AC keeps you comfortable when the scorching heat of summer looms. But, how can you stay cool when there is a power outage; can a generator run your AC? We've researched the power supply provided by various generator makes and models to find the best ones to run your central, portable, or window AC unit.
Generators supply electrical power every time there is a power outage. They temporarily provide power for your air conditioner and other appliances to run. Here are 9 of the best generators for your air conditioners:
- Pulsar PG10000B16 10,000W Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- Pulsar PG10000B 10,000W Portable Dual Fuel Generator
- Champion 3500-Watt Portable Generator
- Briggs & Stratton 30545 P3000 Power Smart Series Portable Generator
- Honda EU3000iS Gas Powered Portable Generator
- DuroMax XP12000EH Generator-12000 Watt Gas or Propane Powered Home Back Up
- WEN 56380i
- Generac 7676 GP8000E Portable Generator
- Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
You must know your air conditioner first before getting a generator. This article will also talk about what you should consider upon buying a generator. Keep on reading to learn more!
Best Generators To Run Your AC
1. Pulsar PG10000B16 10,000W Dual Fuel Portable Generator
This generator has an 8,000-watts maximum power output for gas. It is matchless for class since it has an air-cooled 4,200 cooling coil. It also comes with an electric push start to quickly start the generator.
For a 12-hour-long consumption, six gallons of tank capacity is more than enough. Two of its best features are the low oil indicator and automatic shut down.
- It has a one year warranty
- Additional RV outlet
- Quite loud when being used
- It vibrates a lot while running
2. Pulsar PG10000B 10,000W Portable Dual Fuel Generator
This generator also has an output of 8,000-watts. It can easily provide power to your appliances. Your air conditioner would have a power supply for about 10 hours - uninterrupted.
This Pulsar generator can generate 10,000-watts of power using gasoline and 9,000-watts for LPG. Indeed, this generator is fuel-efficient.
- It has a warranty for two years
- It can back up the power supply for 12 hours
- It has a push start button
- It can supply even heavy appliances
- When used on full load, it may be too loud
- It is hard to use if you use propane
See it at at Pulsar.
3. Champion 3500-Watt Portable Generator
You might doubt this generator, but it can actually back up your air conditioner. This generator has an output of 3,500-watts. It also comes with wireless connectivity and a kickstart facility. A good thing about this generator is that you can control it using a remote from your mobile device.
It can run up to 12 hours without any interruption with a full tank capacity. It has a monitor to inform you about the voltage, hertz, and operating hours.
- It has a steel frame to make the generator work in silent mode
- Easy to move from one place to another
- It has an additional RV connection with two outlets (120V each)
- It can run for 12 hours maximum
- To control it with your mobile, you need to be within an 80-feet vicinity of the generator
- Changing its oil might be challenging because of the dipstick's position
4. Briggs & Stratton 30545 P3000 Power Smart Series Portable Generator
This generator is less pricey, so it has a lesser power supply. This portable generator is best if you have a small window air conditioner. It is one of the best portable generators because it has handles and wheels.
It has an LCD screen that displays the power output and other important details. If you wish to double the power supply, you can use another generator of the same type.
- With only 1.5 gallons of fuel, it can already work for 10 hours
- It is parallel ready
- It has a warranty of two years
- Clean and safe power
- It only weighs 60 pounds
- Improper oil drainage
See it at Briggs&Stratton.
5. Honda EU3000iS Gas Powered Portable Generator
This generator created by Honda is one of the most advanced generators, equipped with high-tech features. You can carry it to camps too! When it is on a full tank, it can operate from 7 to 20 hours, depending on your usage.
It can generate up to 58dBa of noise level and has a recoil start. In case there is an overload, it has protection for your appliances. Also, it automatically shuts down once it indicates that your generator is low on oil.
- Easy to carry and install
- It has a very low noise
- It comes with a choke valve, fuel valve, and ignition system
- It is a bit costly compared to other portable generators
6. DuroMax XP12000EH Generator-12000 Watt Gas or Propane Powered Home Back Up
This type of generator can run your air conditioner and your other heavy appliances. It has starting watts of 12,000 and running watts of 95,000. So, if you have a central air conditioner and small window air conditioner, both can run using this generator.
This portable generator is dual fuel which means you can run it using propane or gasoline. It works well with 120 volts.
- Best for air conditioners
- EPA and CARB Compliant
- It has a metal enclosure
- It is portable, but it is still heavy to lift
7. WEN 56380i
This generator is a 3,800-watts inverter generator that creates clean energy. It does not make loud noises which makes it very ideal for a generator. It operates at 57 decibels only if you use one-quarter of its full load.
This generator has a fuel shutoff option. It will utilize the remaining fuel and shut down if there is an oil shortage. This feature can make your generator's lifespan longer.
- It has many outlets, including USB ports and RV receptacles
- It comes with handles and wheels
- It can be on eco-mode
- It has an electric start feature
- Big and heavy
8. Generac 7676 GP8000E Portable Generator
This generator is large but lighter and has a power rush technology with 10,000 starting watts and 8,000 running watts. This product is recommended for your air conditioners.
This portable generator has a large fuel tank that can run for 11 hours at a 50% fuel capacity. You can easily maintain it with a good lubrication system.
- Easy to use
- Not really loud noise
- Setting up the generator may be difficult
9. Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
This generator is also a giant one and duel fuel. This portable generator is a well-built generator that can back up your air conditioner and other appliances. It has 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts.
It is a heavy generator, but it comes with wheels for you to move it from one place to another.
- It is a transfer switch-ready generator
- Warranty for three years
- Automatically shuts down when the oil level is low
- You can start it using a remote
- Heavy to move
Do You Need A Special Extension Cord For A Generator?
It is vital that you connect your appliances to an extension cord because you cannot directly connect them to the generator. There are many types of extension cords, and some of them may not be compatible with your generator. Make sure that you choose the right cord to avoid damaging your appliances.
Do You Have To Turn Off Your Main Breaker When Using A Generator?
Yes, never forget to switch off your main breaker. Before starting up your generator, turn on your fuel valve first. Let your generator warm up before turning on your circuit breaker again.
What Should You Not Run On A Generator?
It would be best if you never connected the generator via a back feed. This wrong method is when you plug your generator into a wall outlet. This action is risky and can bypass some built-in household circuit protection devices.
Turn it off before refueling your generator and let it cool down first. If you add fuel while the generator is still hot, it might cause ignition.
Where Do You Store Gas For A Generator?
Store your fuel tanks in a shed or garage that is well-ventilated. Do not place it in direct sunlight and other sources of heat.
Keep your air conditioners well-maintained regardless of power outage using the right generator. Make sure to know the details of the generator you want to avoid problems.
Since you are here, you might also want to read: