If you want to turn off or control your thermostat's settings even when you're not in your house, the Ecobee app comes in handy. However, you cannot do this without registering your thermostat first. But what should you do if you can't find the registration code? Read more so we can guide you by explaining every credible information you should know.
Some Ecobee devices do not display or generate codes after a previous registration, so you must reset the registration process. This issue often occurs if your thermostat has a previous owner. To reset, you only have to open the menu, click "Reset," and tap "Registration." You should then be able to see the code after.
Registering your ecobee thermostat is essential so you can use all the benefits this thermostat offers. We searched the internet for thorough instructions on finding the code and finishing the device's registration process.
What To Do If You Can't Find Ecobee Thermostat Registration Code
Access the main menu button on the bottom left side to get your thermostat's registration code. If you don't see the menu option saying "Registration," you will not be able to find your registration code because it means your Ecobee has already been registered. To change your device's ownership and see the registration code, follow these directions:
- Turn your Ecobee thermostat on and ensure it is connected to power.
- Click your thermostat's "Main Menu" icon, which looks like three horizontal lines.
- Select the "Settings" icon.
- Click Reset, then select "Reset Registration."
After doing this, open the Main Menu again, then click Registration. Then, it will say "2 Steps Left" under the registration icon to take you to the Wi-Fi configuration screen and connect to your home network. Finally, your device will generate a code.
If you find out that you can't connect to your Wi-Fi and is, therefore, unable to register your account, check out this post about how to use your thermostat even without the internet for more information:
How To Register Your Ecobee Thermostat After Getting The Registration Code
Unlocking your thermostat's full smart device benefits doesn't stop at obtaining its registration code. It's just the first step to doing it. You can either have a new or old account where you want to register your thermostat. If you need a simple guide to do either of these, read more information below.
To Create A New Ecobee Account
After the code is generated, you can opt to write it down or just directly input it during the registration process on the Ecobee app or its web portal. Scroll down to read about how to complete the registration process of your device.
1. Using The Ecobee App
Using the app is much easier as you can do it on your mobile phone or tablet, which means you can then regulate it through this device. Make sure to download the Ecobee app and do these:
- Tap "Create Account" under the Sign In icon.
- Type your name, email, and password, then accept the terms and conditions. Before clicking "Create Account," ensure that the email you input is correct.
- Make a name for your Home and write down your home address. However, you can also leave the address section blank and select "Save Home." You may then just input your address later, but note that thermostats without an address may not be able to give you the weather data you need.
- Select "Add A Device" and tap "Register A Device" on the pop-up menu.
- Click on the ecobee thermostat displayed to select it as your device.
- Enter your thermostat's registration code.
- You can then input your home details to help with the recommended heating and cooling it needs. However, you may skip doing this if you don't know the home details the app asks for and come back to it later.
- Click "Done" and go to your thermostat to click on "Finish" on its screen's top right side.
2. Using The Web Portal
You may also opt to register your device by typing ecobee.com/register in your web browser. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Select the Ecobee model you have in your house that you want to register.
- Input the four-digit code, then select "Next."
- Fill in the fields required, such as your name, email address, and password you want to use.
- Go to your thermostat and click "Ok" at the bottom right side to complete the registration process.
Registering your device through the web portal will create your account using the email address and password you filled in. If you want to, you can use this account to log in on the Ecobee app through the email address and password you used to register.
For Additional Thermostats In A Home
You can use the app or the ecobee portal to register another Ecobee thermostat in your house. Follow these directions:
- Tap the plus sign (+) icon.
- Click "Add A Device."
- Tap thermostat.
- Enter your four-digit registration code from the thermostat you want to add. Then, click the Next button.
You should then be able to register your additional ecobee thermostat and access it through the app or web portal.
What To Do If A Message Says Your Ecobee Registration Code Is Incorrect?
Inputting an expired code will get you a message that the code is incorrect. Your Ecobee registration code expires after about an hour, so you must re-generate the code if you need it. Just tap the Main Menu and click Registration again.
If your code hasn't expired, try rechecking if you've filled in the correct digits. The code may have letters that look like numbers. For instance, you may misread "I" as "1" and "O" as "0". Try using "I" and "O" if this is the case. If your code contains 1 and 0 already, try doing the opposite.
Can You Add More Than One Account For Your Ecobee Thermostat?
There can only be one Home Owner for an Ecobee thermostat. However, Ecobee also introduced Family Accounts, so up to 15 members can access the device through their smartphones. But, administrative privileges, including account changes, removal and registering new thermostats, and enrollment in eco+ services, are only limited to the homeowner.
Family members can see home information, control the thermostats, and invite new members to join. The Home Owner has to set up a Family Account in the Ecobee app to invite family members to join. Do this by following these instructions;
- Open your Ecobee app, then click "Account."
- Tap "Manage Homes."
- Click the Home where you want to invite a new member.
- Tap "Home Members."
- Click the Invite New Member button.
Can You Unregister Thermostat On Ecobee?
You can unregister one or more of your thermostats on your ecobee account. People often do this when there's a new device owner or when they want to sell the thermostat. You can't add a new owner for it on Ecobee if you don't follow the steps below.
To unregister a thermostat using the Ecobee app
- Open your Ecobee account.
- Select Home and tap the thermostat you want to unregister.
- Click the Main Menu icon located at the bottom corner of the screen.
- Click "Device Settings."
- Tap "Remove Device."
To unregister a thermostat using the web portal
- Log in to your account on ecobee.com.
- Click the menu icon in the upper right corner.
- Select "My Account."
- Click the "Unregister Thermostat" icon.
To unregister a thermostat using the thermostat screen
- On your thermostat screen, tap the Main Menu icon.
- Go to Settings and select Reset.
- Select "Reset Registration."
- Select "Yes" to finish unregistering your device.
The most probable reason you can't find your ecobee thermostat's registration code is that the device may still be registered to an owner. You can quickly resolve this by resetting the registration process.
After, you can then use that registration code to control the device's settings through your smartphone. Make sure you already have an Ecobee account using your phone or Ecobee's web portal to be able to regulate your thermostat settings.
When registering your thermostat, if you get a message saying that the code you input is incorrect, it may be because you have mistyped it. However, if that isn't the case, change the letters in the code your device shows into their corresponding numbers or vice versa.
If you suspect that your ecobee thermostat is acting weirdly, read these posts for more information: