Winix air purifier filters trap fur, dirt, debris, and other particles in the air as they pass through. So, do you need to clean or replace the filter on the Winix air purifier? We've searched around and found a quick guide on how to do it.
Depending on the model type of your Winix air purifier, changing the filters may differ. Listed below is the guide to changing the Winix air purifier 5300 filters.
Once the indicator shows it is time to replace the filter, you should:
- Turn off the unit and unplug the electric socket.
- Take the front cover off from the bottom.
- Pull the two tabs from the outside, and pull them out carefully.
- Get the replacement pre-filter and filter. Attach the replacement to the air purifier.
- Put back the air purifier cover and plug it back in.
- Turn on the air purifier and reset the change filter indicator.
To learn more about air filters and how to maintain your air purifier in its full functionality, continue reading as we dive more into the discussion.
How Do You Change The Air Filter On A Winix Air Purifier
You need to replace the filter to ensure the air in your room is fresh and free of particles. The first thing to do is find the compatible filter for your Winix air purifier.
Ensure that the unit is turned off and unplugged so you can freely move it and avoid electric accidents. Let the unit cool down first before you start replacing the filter.
Steps On How To Replace The Air Filter
- Pull the front cover plate from the bottom edges and pull it towards you, then remove it. In the video below, the model unit is WAC 5500, and the instructions are the same for WAC 5300 model.
- Once you see the pre-filter is full of dirt or other particles, change it.
- Before replacing the pre-filter, check the HEPA filter to see if it is full of dust. If the HEPA filter has already turned gray or black, it is time to replace it.
- To change the HEPA filter, grab the tabs on the old HEPA filters and attach the new one. Follow the airflow labels when attaching the replacements.
- Attach the new air pre-filter. Once you turn on the air purifier later, it will hold the pre-filter in place. We advise changing the air pre-filter every two to three months.
- Winix air purifier has a timer that will tell you when to change air filters.
- Plug in the air purifier and turn on the unit. Find the filter reset button and press it for five seconds. Some Winix model types, such as 6300-2, 5500-2, 5300-2, C555, C535, and Winix Zero, need a safety pin or bobby pin to reset the filter notification.
- Place the air purifier cover back into the unit.
Watch the video to learn how to replace the air filter of the Winix air purifier WAC 5500.
Should You Clean The Old Air Filter Or Replace It?
You should decide if you can still wash the filters and reuse or replace them. Here are the steps for cleaning the Winix 5500-2 air purifier filters.
- Remove the air purifier filter cover.
- Carefully take off the pre-filter. Determine the amount of dirt on it and see if you can still reuse it because it is washable.
- Remove the carbon filter.
- Check the filter and see if you can still reuse it. Note that the filter is not washable, and replace it at least once a year.
- Use a spray hose to wash the pre-filter and carbon filter. Ensure you cleared all dirt and dust. Wash and reuse the carbon filter three times before throwing it out.
- Let it dry under the sun, or use a blow dryer for faster drying.
- Clean the unit and the edges around the filter using a dry cloth.
- Attach the carbon filter and the pre-filter.
- Return the air purifier cover and turn it on.
Watch the video to learn how to wash the pre-filter and carbon filter on Winix 5500-2.
How To Troubleshoot Winix Air Purifier Issues
Listed below are some of the issues in Winix air purifiers and how to troubleshoot them:
If the Winix air purifier quality indicator shows red light, its sensor detects too much air pollution. To fix this, turn the air purifier at high speed to help with air cleaning in your room. The red light will change into blue or amber once finished.
Keeps Shutting Down
There are possible reasons why the air purifier keeps on shutting down. Some of the reasons are listed below:
Ensure that the cord is plugged in and the electric socket receives electricity. Try to plug in the air purifier to another electric socket.
For the circuit breaker, ensure it properly works and if there are issues with the fuse and power supply.
After checking the power and circuit breaker, and it seems normal, test your other appliances to see if there is a power outage. If none, then proceed to the following troubleshooting steps.
Cleaning or replacing the air filters could help to resolve the shutting down issue. Dirty and clogged filters affect the performance of air purifiers.
The air purifier immediately switches to safe mode if the fan motors get overheated or burnt out. Switch it off and let it cool down before testing again.
Ensure the air purifier is not in sleep mode on its timer. You may need to contact your manufacturer for help if basic troubleshooting did not fix the issue.
Sometimes when buttons become unresponsive and the control panel doesn't work. You need to contact the manufacturer for a replacement.
There are instances air purifiers get damaged during transporting or maintenance, and that includes the wiring. The circuit breaks when you turn on the unit, and the air purifier shuts off. A technician will change the wiring and test the unit in case there's more damage.
Dirty filters affect the fan speed or cause it to work partially. Replace your filters and see if this solves the problem. If the issue persists, contact your dealer or manufacturer to help you.
The sensor gets dirty, affecting the air purifier's performance. It would help if you cleaned the sensor along with the filters. Remove the front cover and the filter, then get a vacuum, cotton swab, soft cloth, or soft brush to remove dirt and dust on the sensor.
If the air purifier makes a weird ticking sound, it means there's a loose bolt by the fan. To fix this, flip the air purifier and retighten the bolt at the center holding the fan blade.
- Turn off the air purifier and unplug the power source to avoid danger.
- Remove the back cover, and you will see bolts around the fan. There are wirings attached from the back cover and the main body, be careful and pull the back cover a little.
- Remove all the bolts holding the whole body of the fan.
- Pull the fan out.
- Tighten the bolt at the center of the fan blade.
- Put everything back together.
- Turn the air purifier on and see if the weird noise is gone.
- If you are not confident about fixing the unit, you can ask a technician to tighten the bolts.
What Are Available Compatible Air Filters For Winix?
Listed below are the compatible air filters for Winix Air Purifier:
Winix Replacement Filter
This filter is the original replacement compatible with the model 5500-2 air purifier. Winix filter has one year warranty. Manufacturers recommend replacing the filter once the indicator turns on.
Click here to see this replacement filter on Amazon.
Jubilee True HEPA Replacement Filter For Winix 5500-2 and AM80
Jubilee air filters have a removal efficiency of above 99.7% of particles and are effective for smoke and dust.
Click here to check Curebilee Air Filter on Amazon.
Ruziba Filter Replacement
The Ruziba filter is compatible with Winix C545, P150, and B151. It can block and filter 99.7% of particles with 0.3 microns size.
Click here to check filter replacement on Amazon.
Skymechy True HEPA Filter Replacement
This HEPA filter replacement is compatible with Winix C545. It is disposable, and you don't need tools to install it. It is advisable to replace the filter every six to eight months.
Check out the True HEPA filter replacement on Amazon.
HepaAire Replacement Filter
This air filter is compatible with Winx PlasmaWave 5300, 6300, 5300-2, P300, 6300-2, 5500, 500B, 5000, AM90, 9000, and Winx C535. The pack includes 3 HEPA filter replacements. Replace the filter every six to twelve months or depending on the usage.
Click here to view the HepaAire on Amazon.
It is necessary to replace filters to ensure your home's air is free of dust and particles that may harm your health. Replacing the Winix air purifier filters is simple and easy.
To learn more about air filters and air purifiers, you may visit and read these posts:
How To Clean Winix Air Purifier & Filter [Step By Step Guide]?