If you didn't originally install your Heil air conditioner unit at home and would like to know its age to decide whether to have it repaired or just replace it with a new one, this article is definitely for you! We've done the research and asked some experts to give you a comprehensive answer.
To know your Heil air conditioning unit's age, you should follow the steps below:
- Locate the serial number
- Determine the format of the serial number
- Determine the production year and manufacturing week
Now, you already have an idea of the basic steps for determining the age of your Heil air conditioning unit. If you are still a bit confused about the steps, we'll give you a detailed look at the topic and discuss each step thoroughly. Along the way, we'll also discuss the pertinent questions related to the topic.
Steps in determining your Heil air conditioning unit's age
The key to knowing your Heil air conditioning unit's age is by looking into its serial number. Here, we'll help you locate it and understand it by discussing each step.
Step 1. Locate the serial number
Each Heil air conditioning unit has a data or rating plate which serves as an identification tag that contains important information, instructions, and warnings. The serial number of a Heil air conditioning unit is located on its data or rating plate. The data plate is typically found on the outside jacket of the air conditioning unit.
Step 2. Determine the style of the serial number
There are four different serial number formats that Heil has used over the years to show you what year and week your air conditioning unit was manufactured.
This format consists of 10 characters. The first character is a letter and then followed by nine numerical digits. An example of this serial number format is E072514528.
This format consists of nine characters. The first character is a letter. The remaining characters are all numerical digits. An example of this type of serial number is H55116328.
This format also consists of nine characters. The first character is a letter followed by nine numerical digits. An example of this type of serial number is H55120465. This format looks the same as style 2, but the serial number will be on a sticker.
This format consists of six characters, all in numerical digits. An example of this serial number format is 297448.
Step 3. Determine the manufacturing year
Now, after determining the format of your Heil air conditioning unit, the next thing that you should do is to learn how to decipher the characters.
The first serial number style is the latest format used by Heil among all the other styles. This format is used by units manufactured by ICP. The manufacturing year can be determined by the first and second numerical digits. Furthermore, the third and fourth numerical digits represent the week of that specific production year.
For illustration purposes, we'll use the example written above for style 1 which is E072514528. The numbers zero and seven represent the manufacturing year, meaning it was manufactured in 2007. The numbers two and five represent the week it was manufactured, meaning on the 25th week, which is between June 18-24, 2007.
Styles 2 and 3
The second serial number format was used exclusively by Heil from 1980 to 1989. The first character, which is a letter, indicates the decade it was manufactured. The second character, which is a numerical digit, shows the specific year of the decade it was manufactured. Lastly, the second and third number indicates the week it was produced.
For illustration purposes, we'll use the example written above for style 2 which is H55116328. The letter H indicates the decade it was manufactured. So since H is the eighth letter of the alphabet, it means that the decade the said unit was manufactured was in the 80s.
In addition, the second character, which is the number five, indicates the specific year in the 80s it was manufactured. Thus, it was manufactured in 1985. Lastly, the third and fourth characters which are the numbers five and one represent the week it was manufactured, meaning on the 51st week, which is between December 16 and 22.
There are serial numbers as well that were issued for those air conditioning units that were repaired under recall. The serial number style 3 is an example of this. So if your Heil air conditioning unit was repaired under recall, the manufacturer issues a new serial number by placing a sticker over the old serial number.
Serial number styles 2 and 3 use the same format, hence it should be similarly deciphered.
The style 4 serial number was used for those older Heil air conditioner unit models manufactured from 1979 and earlier.
So for illustration purposes, we'll use the example written above for style 4 which is 297448. The first numerical digit, which is two, represents the year it was manufactured. This indicates that the unit may have been manufactured in 1952, 1962, 1972, or earlier.
What is the average lifespan of a Heil air conditioner?
A central air conditioning unit's average lifespan is approximately 15-20 years, as stated by the U.S. Department of Energy. However, it could last longer with the proper care and maintenance.
How to prolong the lifespan of your AC unit?
The following are the ways how to extend your air conditioning unit's lifespan:
- Clean the surrounding area of your unit and see to it that it's free of any debris.
- Clean and change your unit's filter regularly.
- During moderately warm weather, you can either turn off the unit completely or switch it to fan mode. Don't turn on your air conditioning unit at a very cold temperature if it's not necessary.
- Observe your unit and listen for any odd sounds that may signal a problem.
- Use blinds or any thick curtain on the sunny part of your house to help block the heat.
- Always make sure to clean your indoor or condensing coils.
- Put oil on your unit's fan motor.
- You also need to clean your duct or have it cleaned by a professional.
- Schedule a regular air conditioning repair or preventive maintenance.
Check out these Heil Air Filter on Amazon
Do Old Air Conditioners Consume More Electricity?
Yes, old air conditioners consume more electricity than those newer ones, as stated by the U.S. Department of Energy. Old air conditioners have compressors that consume more electricity because it has to work extra to achieve the target temperature, unlike the new units now.
New air conditioning units nowadays use 30%-50% less energy compared to the old units.
How do you know when it's time to get a new air conditioner?
The following are the signs that you need to get a new air conditioner:
- Your air conditioner no longer produces cool air. This problem is usually caused by a broken compressor, a low freon level, or several other factors.
- Your air conditioner is more than 10 years old. This will not only help you save up on electricity bills but as well as on repair costs.
- You need to repair your unit repeatedly. Often, it's more practical to get a new one than spend on costly repairs.
- You need to replace a part that is half the price of a new unit to fix it.
- The unit produces odd or unusual sounds that produce noise whenever the unit is running, this can be a sign that your air conditioning unit is already worn-out.
- Your air conditioning unit no longer cools your home evenly.
- The airflow of your air conditioning unit is low despite changing the filter with a new one.
- There is excessive leaking from the machine. It's quite normal for a small amount of condensation to occur around the air conditioning unit, but no fluids should be leaking.
For you to know your Heil air conditioning unit's age, you must first locate its data plate wherein its serial number is located. Once found, check which serial number style does your unit displays, and from there, you could now decipher what year and week your unit was manufactured.
Not only have we seen how to properly age your Heil AC; we've also learned how long most air conditioners last, how to extend their life, and some signs that it may be time to replace your air conditioner.
If you wish to learn more about air conditioners, check these informative articles before you go:
How Old Is My Lennox Air Conditioner?
Goodman Air Conditioner Tonnage: How To Find What Yours Is