Replacing your AC's filter is part of its proper maintenance. You can save on labor costs if you know how to do this by yourself; that's why we're here to teach you how to replace the filter of your Goodman air conditioner. We asked experts for tips on how to do it right, and here's what they shared with us.
Here's how to change your Goodman air conditioner filter:
- Turn off your AC.
- Remove the old filter from the filter cabinet.
- Replace it with a new one.
Continue reading so we can explain how this works and why it is important to replace your dirty AC filters. We'll also tell you the signs that your filter is dirty, how often, and how you should clean your AC filter. This article will also answer if a dirty filter will make your AC inoperable and if you can run your AC without a filter. Let's begin!
Replacing Goodman Air Conditioner Filter
Air conditioner filters have the important function of catching dirt, dust, and other particles in the air to ensure that the indoor air quality is clean and healthy. But since there are lots of pollutants in the air, these filters can get clogged and dirty in a rather short amount of time. That's why it is important to replace them regularly to maintain your indoor air quality.
Today, we'll teach you how to replace the filter of your Goodman AC. The location of the filter cabinet may vary according to the model of your Goodman air conditioning unit. If you don't know where it is, it's best to consult your owner's manual to find out where it is located. You can also check the manufacturer's website for more information.
Before doing this task, you should also determine what filter size your air conditioning unit uses so you can purchase the right size.
Experts also recommend that you use buy HEPA filters with a MERV rating of at least 10 to ensure safe indoor air quality. These filters prevent the buildup of molds, pollens, and other allergens.
Click this link to find this filter replacement on Amazon.
When you already have a filter replacement with you, here are the steps you need to follow to replace the air filter.
1. For your health and safety, it is recommended that you put on a face mask and use gloves for this task. 2. Turn off your air conditioner. 3. Open the filter cabinet. Some may be attached using screws, while some may use clips. 4. Pull out the old filter and dispose of it properly. 5. Insert the replacement filter. Take note of which side should face up. There is usually an arrow on the side of the filter that'll help you with this. 6. Close the filter cabinet.
That's it! Replacing the filter on your Goodman AC is so easy to do. Do this regularly as part of your AC's maintenance.
How do I know if my AC filter is dirty?
You will know that it's time to have your AC filter cleaned or replaced when you experience these warning signs:
1. The temperature isn't cool enough. Your AC will have a hard time maintaining your desired temperature because of the dirt buildup on the filter. 2. Hot AC unit: The whole unit itself would be hot, or its back would be blowing warmer air because your air conditioner is working harder than usual. 3. More frequent allergy attacks: When your AC filter is dirty, it won't be able to catch more dirt in the air. This means that more allergens are present in the air that you breathe. 4. Higher energy bills: You'll be surprised by the sudden increase in your electricity charges. The more that your AC has to work, the more it consumes energy, the higher the electric bill. 5. Dusty portions near the AC vents: The AC coughs out some accumulated dirt to settle in areas immediately outside the AC vents. You may also perform the white sheet test near your AC vents. Put a clean sheet of paper in front of them and leave it there for about an hour. If the white paper turns gray, this indicates that the filter is full of dirt already.
Clean your AC filter regularly, and you'll reap its benefits.
How often do you clean AC filters?
Cleaning your AC filter is an important part of its proper maintenance. It'll help a lot in making your AC work smoothly and effectively and prolong its lifespan.
Experts recommend that you clean your filters at least once a month. You may have to do this task more frequently the more you use your AC, especially if you live in a dusty environment or have pets around. These circumstances make it more probable that your AC will catch more dirt in a shorter period.
Cleaning your AC filter shouldn't be too hard. But first, you need to determine if your AC's filter is disposable or not. Check your owner's manual or the manufacturer's website if you're not sure. If your filter is disposable, throw it away properly. Have it replaced at least once every three months.
If your AC filter isn't disposable, you can have it cleaned until such time that you have it replaced with a new one. Here's how to go about it.
Cleaning your AC filter
- Turn off your air conditioning unit.
- Open the filter cabinet's panel to remove the filter.
- Vacuum the filter to remove the dirt and dust buildup using the tube extension.
- Mix equal parts of vinegar and water for your homemade cleaning solution. You can also use soapy water instead. Just mix a few tablespoons of liquid dish soap with water.
- Put the filter on a large tub or sink and use the vinegar-water solution or soapy water to deep clean your filter.
- Soak the filter in your chosen cleaning solution for about an hour or more depending on how dirty it is.
- Gently rinse off the cleaning solution. You can use your hose or shower for this.
- Air dry before putting it back inside your AC unit.
That's it! You should be able to notice the difference in your filter's appearance and, consequently, in its performance.
Some air conditioners have an automatic cleaning function. There's an internal brush that removes all the unwanted particles on the surface of the filter.
All the dirt is deposited in a small chamber inside the AC where it can be conveniently blown out of the unit. Use this feature regularly to clean your AC filter.
Can a dirty filter cause AC not to work?
The short answer to this question is yes, a dirty filter will cause your air conditioning unit to become inoperable.
As mentioned earlier, the main function of an AC filter is to trap dirt and other unwanted particles from getting inside your AC unit. When the filter is already full of dirt, it won't be able to catch other pollutants in the air.
Aside from this, the dirt buildup will hinder smooth airflow. Cold air won't be able to flow out of your air conditioning unit. Thus, it is trapped inside. Eventually, the ice will form on the evaporator coils until they become frozen. When this happens, your AC won't work anymore.
Here's another scenario that can happen when you don't clean or replace your AC for so long. Since dirt, debris, dust, and other unwanted particles have accumulated on the surface, the airflow is clogged. It leads other components of the AC to work double-time to maintain your desired cool temperature.
When they are working extra hard all the time, they can become worn out prematurely and break down. That's when your AC won't work anymore, and you have to spend on costly repairs to have it back in good running condition.
Can I run my AC without a filter for one night?
The air filter acts as the main barrier against dirt, debris, and allergens so that they won't be sucked up inside your AC and won't be released back into the air that you breathe.
Technically speaking, you can run your air conditioner unit without a filter. But only for a short time, a few hours at the most, and only if you don't have access to a filter replacement right away.
However, you have to keep in mind that this is risky. Without the filter, it means that the dirt can get inside your air conditioning system and can affect its operation. It can damage your AC's compressor and make your evaporator coils freeze.
Unwanted particles can clog different components and make your AC work harder than normal to provide you with cool air. This translates to bigger energy bills. Your AC will also not be able to regulate the room temperature as effectively and efficiently, so you might not achieve your desired comfort level.
It would also affect your indoor air quality as the pollutants are allowed to circulate in the room. You might also notice that specks of dust are more visible as they settle in different areas of your home.
So, while it is possible to run your AC without a filter, even for just a night, it is not recommended because this could damage the unit and affect the air quality.
Replacing your Goodman AC filter is so easy. Just remove the old one from the filter cabinet, then insert a new one. Do this as often as needed to help your AC function efficiently and effectively.
For more resources regarding Goodman HVAC products, you may visit the following links:
How To Clean A Goodman Central Air Conditioner