Installing a ceiling fan with LED lights is an excellent way to improve the aesthetics of a room. Plus, it can also be a source of extra lighting. However, as with all electronic appliances, it can malfunction. We have consulted with HVAC experts to learn the procedures for fixing a ceiling fan light. Here's what they have to say.
If the ceiling fan light isn't working, but the blades still rotate properly, you could do any or all of the following to fix the light:
- Replace the damaged bulb
- Look for loose connections
- Check for spoilt sockets
- Remove and replace the pull chain light switch
- Repair the ceiling fan remote
Apart from the procedures listed above, more is needed to fix a ceiling fan light. Hang on and read further as we would talk about how to fix a ceiling fan light in more detail.
Reasons Lights in Your Ceiling Fan Might Stop Working
Lights are sometimes added to ceiling fans for beautification purposes. With time they can stop working and changing the bulb might not be an effective solution. There can be other possible reasons. Electrical wires from the wall socket to the light kit change with an increase in temperature brought about by electric energy. This can result in loose wire connections.
The fan's lights may also stop working if essential parts like the remote, pull chain or light socket are damaged. This can cause the wire connections in important parts of the fan, such as the ceiling light or the wall switch, to loosen over time.
As a result, even though the blades are revolving, the ceiling-mounted light would not work for a longer length of time. Another factor responsible might be a broken ceiling fan kit.
Furthermore, burnt bulb sockets can indicate why LED bulbs in ceiling fans stop working. To properly diagnose the problem, you should examine all the connections and correct any faults.
Ceiling Fan Light Troubleshooting
If the ceiling fan starts sparking and the light goes out, this can be a clear sign of an electrical problem. It means a bulb's wire circuit has been burnt for the most part. You might have to inspect more closely to identify other reasons.
However, before you begin, ensure you are properly geared up by putting on a protective covering and ensuring that you have the necessary electrical tools to conduct the inspection. Here are the different troubleshooting steps you should take.
1. Check Fan Light Socket and Damaged Bulb
A variety of reasons can cause a damaged ceiling fan light. The most common reason is the bulb’s socket being loose and needs to be tightened or replaced. Another reason could be a broken light socket, which needs to be repaired or replaced.
If the socket is loose, it can easily be fixed by tightening the screws in the socket. If it is broken, you will need to fix it. Faulty light bulbs can also be the cause of damaged ceiling fan lights. The best way to avoid this is by replacing the bulb on time.
You should turn off the power supply and remove it from the socket to change a damaged bulb. Unscrew it from its holder and replace it with a new one.
2. Inspect Wiring/Loose Wire Connections
Connections that are too loose or too tight will hinder the operation of the light, which could result in the bulbs not working correctly. Check the wiring carefully to see whether this is the cause of your malfunctioning light. To do that, you can follow the steps below:
- To begin, turn off the current supply.
- Next, look for the screws that keep the light package together. They can be found beneath the fan blades in most ceiling fan units. Unscrew these once you've found them.
- You'll find two colored wires curled around a red wire near the current supply.
- Keep an eye out for any slack or tight wire connections. Then, connect all the wires correctly. Fix any loose connections you notice.
- Finally, turn on the power supply.
3. Check Ceiling Fan Wall Switch Wiring
The switch is a simple device designed to turn the ceiling fan light on and off. It can be used for both the fan and light, or just the fan. The switch is a one-pole, single-throw (SPST) type. This means that it has only two positions, on and off.
The switch is in the "off" position when the lever is resting against the case of the switch or to one side of it. The "on" position is when the lever is at right angles to the case of the switch and fully extended out from it.
Here's how to inspect the ceiling fan wall switch wiring
There are most likely two switches that work to control the fan and light. To inspect the ceiling fan switch wiring, turn the switch that controls the light.
Check if the light switch works by using a voltage tester. A voltage tester is a device that can be used to measure the electrical potential of a power source. They can be used to check if the light switch is working, or if there is electricity in the house.
A voltage tester has two metal plates that are connected by a wire and when they come in contact with an electric current, they will create a small spark. This can be seen as an indication that there is electricity present.
If the tester shows there is electricity, go to your main electrical panel and turn off the breaker that powers the ceiling fan.
- Remove the cover plate protecting the fan and light switch by using a screwdriver to loosen the screw. After this extract the switch carefully.
- The two black cables you can see on the light switch side might be disconnected or damaged. Replace them or make sure they are tightly fastened.
- Put back the black wires safely in the electrical box. Make sure the two black wires are connected properly. This can be done by twisting the wires till they are tightly joined.
- Buy a new electrical switch and cover, screw them on safely then turn on your fan's breaker.
4. Remove and Replace The Light Switch Pull Chain
Pull chain light switches are used to turn the lights on and off in a room. These switches are often found in bedrooms and bathrooms. A pull chain light switch can also be found in the ceiling fan light. It is used to turn the lights on and off or adjust the brightness.
The light switch is usually located near the fan, and it can be accessed by pulling on a chain that hangs from the ceiling. A pull chain light switch can be installed easily, but some people find it more convenient to use remote control. A damaged pull chain light switch can make controlling a ceiling fan light impossible.
Here's how to remove and replace it
- To start, make sure to turn off the circuit breaker controlling the ceiling fan from the breaker panel.
- Loosen the screws holding the ceiling fan light kit.
- Untwist the light kit's connectors with the ceiling fan's two wires. Separate the wires to free the light kit.
- Locate the black wires from the light switch's pull chain. One controls the fan and the other, the light socket.
- Remove the connector that connects the unused switch cable to the ceiling-mounted light socket and untwist it.
5. Check The Fan Remote
If your fan has a remote control, check if this might cause the problem. First, check sure the batteries are still new. If the batteries are still intact, you can reset the remote with the following procedure:
- First, use the remote control to turn off the fan.
- Press and hold the power key on the remote for around 10-15 seconds.
- Restart the fan after 20 seconds to check if it functions together with the light. Otherwise, purchase a new set, test the bulbs, or try other troubleshooting procedures.
Can LED Lights Be Replaced?
If you need to replace an embedded LED light, you can DIY or visit the store you bought it from for replacement parts. You'll need to contact an electrician to repair the panel once you receive the replacement part. Please remember that replacements will vary in price and availability depending on the model.
How Long Do LEDs Lights Last
Some manufacturers say that their LEDs may last 25,000 hours, which is astounding! On the other hand, these LED panels aren't cheap because of their lengthy lifespan.
Ceiling fan lights are a great way to add lighting to a room. They come in many shapes and sizes, with some being more suited for low ceilings and others for high ceilings.
They are also relatively cheap and easy to install. If you encounter any issues with your ceiling fan light, you can try one of the aforementioned troubleshooting procedures. For more related articles about ceiling fans, check out these engaging posts.