If you just bought an Owens Corning garage door insulation kit and you're looking for a guide on how to set it up, you've found the right page! We've researched this topic and are glad to share what we learned.
To install an Owens Corning garage door insulation kit, you need to:
- Mark the center spots on the garage door section.
- Put adhesive tape and one retainer clip on each marked spot.
- Measure the height and width of each section.
- Cut the insulation panels according to size.
- Tuck the insulation panels in the frame and rails around each garage door section.
- Attach another retainer clip on the panel to keep it in place.
Keep on reading for a detailed guide on how to install an Owens Corning garage door insulation kit. We'll also tell you the easiest way to insulate a garage and answer if garage insulation kits are worth it. Let's get down to business!
Owens Corning Garage Door Fiberglass Insulation Kit
A garage can be a great help in protecting your car from the elements. For many homeowners, a garage also provides an additional living or storage space, so it makes sense to insulate the garage door to optimize and maximize the use of your garage all year round.
Installing a garage door with built-in insulation properties can be expensive. Luckily, Owens Corning offers an affordable solution for insulating your garage door.
Owens Corning offers garage door insulation kits to help provide optimal thermal comfort in this part of your house and make your garage more energy efficient.
The kit will improve the thermal performance of your garage door up to five times compared to an uninsulated one. It can reduce the noise level by 20%.
This is especially helpful if you're using the garage as a workshop so you won't disturb other parts of the house. You also won't be bothered by the noise coming from the street.
The kit's white vinyl exterior will brighten the garage space. It's easy to install, which means you won't need to hire professional help to have your garage door insulated. This way, you save on labor costs. Plus, you get the satisfaction of doing this home improvement project all by yourself!
Owens Corning garage door insulation kits can be used on garage doors that are made of metal material with no form of insulation on them.
Each kit includes eight insulation panels of fiberglass material covered by washable white vinyl on one side. It also comes with double-sided tape, retainer clips, a pair of gloves, and vinyl repair tape.
One kit can cover up to nine feet of a single-car garage door. So, if you have a two-car garage, you will need two kits. The materials used are durable and can resist denting. The vinyl cover makes it easy to clean with just the use of mild detergent.
The Owens Corning garage door insulation kit uses a unique fastening system to ensure that the panels stay in place. It only takes less than an hour to complete the installation. Here's how it's done.
How To Install The Owens Corning Garage Door Insulation Kit
Owens Corning garage door insulation kits make it so easy for you to put insulation on your garage door. You don't even need any special tools for the job.
- measuring tape
- utility knife or sharp blade
- straight edge
- face mask or respirator
- Open the box and check its contents.
- Lay the insulation panels on a flat surface.
- Using your measuring tape, mark the center spots on each door section. Each section has two center spots. It should be halfway from the closest edge and from the middle of the door section.
- Peel off one side of the adhesive tape's release paper and put one on each of the marked spots.
- Remove the adhesive tape's outer release paper so you can stick the retainer clip onto it. There should be two clips per section.
- Measure the height and width of each garage door panel, then add 1" for each dimension.
- Transfer these measurements to each insulation panel.
- Put cardboard underneath before you cut each panel to size using a utility knife or sharp blade. The vinyl side should be facing the cardboard.
- Install the insulation panel on the garage door. This time, the white vinyl side should be facing you. Just tuck the edges into the door frame and rails around each garage door section.
- Gently press the insulation panel against the attached retainer clip. Make a small cut on the area where the retainer clip protrudes to allow it to push through all the way out.
- Insert another retainer clip right into the first one until they connect with each other. This will ensure that the insulation panels on the garage door stay in place.
- Just make sure that the edges of the panels are tucked neatly in place and that there are no gaps between the seams for optimum insulation.
There you go! That's how easy it is to install Owens Corning insulation on your metal garage door! Just like that, you can enjoy all the benefits of an insulated garage door.
Check out this video for more information.
What Is The Easiest Way To Insulate A Garage?
Garage door insulation kits like the one offered by Owens Corning are the easiest way to insulate a garage. For an affordable price, you can experience the benefits of having an insulated garage door.
As we mentioned earlier, you don't need any special tools to get the job done. These kits provide the insulation panels and everything you need for the installation process. The materials that you need are probably what you have in your toolbox.
The material's R value, or ability to provide insulation, will vary, but suffice it to say that it'll help reduce heat flow to and from the garage. The higher the R-value, the better.
A vinyl-faced fiberglass insulation panel has an 8 R-value which is pretty decent already for a garage door. Polystyrene rigid foam panels, on the other hand, are only rated R-4, so you should choose the primary material with care.
Other methods of insulating the garage door are reflective, cellulose, and spray foam insulation.
Garage door insulation kits make this DIY home improvement project easy and convenient. This can be a one-person job, and you can still finish it in a short amount of time.
Another way to insulate the garage is to insulate other parts of this section. This is especially helpful for those with garage doors that are attached to their homes. They can insulate the ceiling if there's a room above the garage or the wall adjacent to the house.
Are Garage Insulation Kits Worth It?
You might get different opinions when you ask other people about the effectiveness of putting insulation on your garage doors with the help of these DIY kits.
To some, it seems pointless to insulate the garage door since it opens and closes multiple times a day. As it does so, it allows outside air to enter the garage and affects the room's ambient temperature.
But for those who use the garage for different purposes other than keeping their vehicle, it is worthwhile to add insulation panels on their garage doors. This will make the garage a more comfortable place to stay or work in and a safer place to keep your belongings.
For a relatively affordable price, you get to enjoy the benefits of having added insulation in this area.
The bottom line is it depends on how you use your garage. The added insulation will be worth it if you use it as an additional living space or for storage purposes.
The Owens Corning garage door insulation kit makes it easy for you to insulate your metal garage door. You can do this in less than an hour, and you'll be reaping the benefits of an insulated garage door in no time.
If you found this article useful, you might also like the following: