The humidifier is a helpful home appliance. However, it may no longer be helpful if clumps of pink start to form inside or around it. So, what should you do when you see pink mold in your humidifier? Does it impose any danger? What are the ways you get rid of it and prevent it from growing? We have researched answers to find out.
The pink mold in your humidifier called pullulans can become threatening over time. Prolonged exposure to pink mold may cause lung and bladder infections, heart issues, and digestion problems. Regular cleaning is the most effective prevention against mold growth.
This is how you can eliminate pink mold in your humidifier:
- Unplug the humidifier. Separate the bottom part from its water tank.
- Fill in the tank with vinegar or hydrogen peroxide to quickly clean the mold later. Let it rest for half an hour.
- When it's time, empty the tank, wash it with warm water, and put it to dry.
- Also, wipe the bottom part with vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. It prevents mold from growing.
- Do the same thing with the vapor sprout, only this time with a brush to scrape out some mold from the tiny opening.
Eliminating and preventing the pink mold is an easy task, but thorough cleaning is necessary to ensure your health and safety. Keep reading below to learn more about how to effectively clean the humidifier and maintain clean and healthy air at home.
Is Pink Mold In Humidifier Dangerous? [Removal And Prevention]
Pink Mold is a slimy bacteria that is often seen in a humidifier. It's not highly toxic, but it may cause some health risks during prolonged exposure.
And, dangerous or not, it's off-putting when the humidifier is anything but clear. It's highly essential to routinely clean your humidifier since it is supposed to benefit your health, not worsen it.
Health Risks Of Pink Mold In Humidifiers
Prolonged exposure to pink mold can cause a lot of problems in the body. Although it is not as toxic as the black mold, it can still bring respiratory illnesses such as asthma.
If the mold spreads into the bathroom, you need to clean it immediately. You can call professional cleaning services for better results and to ensure safety.
Humidifier lung or hypersensitivity pneumonitis is contracted due to too much exposure to pink mold. Suffering from this sickness results in cough, fever, and difficulty breathing.
Breathing will be difficult because of the inflammation of the lungs. The inflammation can prompt lasting scars, which will be difficult to manage.
Inhaling air from the humidifier with pink mold can worsen asthma and trigger asthma attacks. People with respiratory problems are more likely to acquire new conditions.
A person who inhales the air that has been contaminated by pink mold may develop heart problems. If a person already has heart problems, their condition may worsen.
Allergy And Skin Infections
Using a clean humidifier is advisable for people with skin infections. It adds moisture to the air in the room, preventing dry skin. However, if there is pink mold on your humidifier, your skin condition may worsen especially if you have an open wound.
Weak Immune System
Pink mold and a weak immune system are not a good combination. People with strong immune systems cannot be affected. With a weak immune system, they will suffer from fever, cough, cold, and other common symptoms.
Stomach And Bladder Problems
Ingesting pink mold or getting it inside the nose cause diarrhea. Also, it can infect your bladder over time and lead to a urinary tract infection(UTI). Infections are never good news.
Removal And Prevention
Don't allow any contact with the pink mold in cleaning your humidifier. Removing it is easy, but close contact can cause skin irritation, especially if you have hypersensitive skin. The guide above provides the necessary details for cleaning your humidifier with pink mold. Before wiping, you need to prepare the tools to use.
Tools To Prepare
Every time you clean mold, it is best to equip yourself with safety gear, and materials and put your item in a working space. Gather all the materials listed below:
- eye protector or goggles
- a respiratory mask
- a pair of gloves
- a toothbrush
- vinegar or hydrogen peroxide
Check out this Solimo hydrogen peroxide on Amazon.
Prevention Is Always Better
Immediately wipe the mold with vinegar or hydrogen peroxide if you see a build-up of pink mold in visible areas of your humidifier. Read your manual on what it says about the cleaning guide of your specific humidifier.
Here are also ways to prevent pink mold from building up in humidifiers. Consistency is surely the key. Read below:
- Make it a habit to clean your humidifier every day to ensure that the air is fresh and clean every time you use it. That way, you won't have to worry if there's any mold growing.
- Replace the old water in the water tank daily. This can prolong your filter. Use distilled water because it is less prone to pink molds.
- Set maintenance reminders. It is preferable to check the overall cleanliness and function of the humidifier. It keeps your humidifier from blooming any mold. It also prolongs the life of your appliance.
- You can put humidifier pills, tea tree oil, or white vinegar in your humidifier to help prevent the growth of pink mold.
- Keep checking the air moisture in your room. Too much moisture will let pink mold breed. Have a dehumidifier available if your room has moister than it should. Sunlight also balances the dryness or moisture in your room. Let some sunshine in your room.
Check out this organic tea tree oil on Amazon.
How Long Does It Take For Pink Mold To Grow?
Pink mold can take up to 24 to 48 hrs to form. It can be quicker under favorable conditions such as high temperature and humidity. Generally, the spores start to settle in 3 to 13 days and become noticeable in around 18 to 21 days.
Does Pink Mold Have An Odor?
Typically, mold has a stinging smell that lingers in a room even after cleaning the concerned area. Mold can also stick to your clothes, bathroom, and shower. You would not want to have this pungent smell overwhelming your house.
Why Do You Have To Add Salt To A Humidifier?
Putting salt in a humidifier gives various benefits. It kills fungi and bacteria and serves as an anti-microbial agent. It also helps keep your humidifier from mold and mildew and efficiently disseminates water molecules into the air.
How Do You Check A Humidifier For Mold?
Aside from looking for a visible sign mold is growing in your humidifier, you can also do a smell test. Lightly sniff the air from your humidifier. A damp smell, like a drenched dog or wet socks, connotes a high chance of mold traces in your humidifier.
What Is The Healthiest Type Of Humidifier?
Cool mist humidifiers are considered the healthiest type of humidifier. It is the best option, especially when you have pets or children. A warm mist humidifier may cause burns in close contact.
Can I Run Rubbing Alcohol Through My Humidifier?
Running rubbing alcohol through your humidifier is not recommended. It is ideal to use it as a cleaning agent by wiping the parts of the humidifier except for its filter. Use an alcohol-soaked fiber cloth to wipe the humidifier parts and let them dry. Fill the water tank with alcohol and let it rest for 30 min. Afterward, rinse and dry.
Check out this isopropyl alcohol on Amazon.
What Essential Oil Kills Mold In The Air?
Tea tree oil was mentioned earlier as a recommended add-on to your humidifier to prevent mold growth.
However, some essential oils work better to kill mold and are worth looking into. They have chemical components geared toward agitating the spread of mold and killing them. Here are the essential oils you can use:
- Citrus oil
- Clove oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Lavender oil
Check out this eucalyptus essential oil on Amazon.
In A Nutshell
Pink mold in humidifiers is not as critical as black mold. However, exposure can still result in respiratory, heart, and digestion problems. You can easily find the necessary cleaning materials at home. Daily cleaning is a must if you want to breathe in fresh and breathable air at home.
Discover more about the benefits of using a humidifier here:
"How Often Should I Use A Humidifier For My Plants?"