When you turn on your Shark air purifier, you may have noticed the filter light blinking. You have never encountered this before, so you don't know what to do or what it means. Find out the meaning or what the unit is trying to tell you for care and maintenance in the collected information.
Your Shark air purifier filter light is flickering because the filter has been used up and needs replacement.
It confirms you need to change your filter when you press the filter life button by showing O hours remaining. It is not washable, so dispose of it properly and purchase a new one.
Finding out the reason behind your air purifier's issue makes it easier to resolve it. Stay on the page to learn how to replace your Shark air purifier's filter and what you can do to maintain it. Also, check out more troubleshooting tips and details to familiarize your unit.
Why Is My Shark Air Purifier Filter Light Blinking? [How To Fix]
The Shark air purifier works to clean the air indoors or in your room. It has a top control panel and a front display panel with different buttons, including a filter life button. It also comes with a battery-operated remote control.
The air purifier can also remove unwanted odors in the surroundings with its ">carbon layer.
There are cases when the filter life button blinks or flashes on your display screen. In this case, the filter light is blinking. And you found out that it's because of the dirty filter.
The filter has several hours of filter life, displayed on the unit's screen. And for you to conveniently monitor how dirty or around when you should change your filter.
It is advisable to replace the Shark air purifier filter after 6 to 12 months or as needed. The filter life button will then notify you when by flashing. The filter is replaceable and not washable, recyclable, or vacuumable. It is best to change to a new filter with the same brand.
You only need a few materials or tools to replace your Shark air purifier filter. Of course, wait for the new filter to arrive before opening the unit.
Prepare a vacuum for cleaning the surroundings of the filter or unit after detaching it, and use a clean microfiber cloth to clean it thoroughly.
Follow these steps to replace your Shark air purifier filter:
- Turn off your unit, then unplug it.
- Move into a spacious area to work on the replacement.
- At the back of the unit, gently push down the filter cover tabs on top and pull out to detach it and gain access to the filter inside. Put the cover aside.
- Pull the white filter tab from the center top to detach the filter. Carefully remove the filter to avoid dust or dirt from falling off. Put it in an airtight plastic bag and dispose of it properly.
- Clean the interior of your air purifier, which you pulled out the filter from with a handy vacuum.
- Afterward, wipe it with a microfiber cloth to remove any traces of dust.
- Remove the packaging of the new filter and then install it.
- Return the filter cover to the unit by aligning it from the bottom to its top tabs and gently pushing it until you hear a click. It means it has been correctly installed.
- Attach it back in its place after working in a spacious area and plug in the unit. Then, turn on your unit to re-calibrate.
- After recalibration, push the filter life button for 3 sec. to refresh the filter lifetime. Then, you will hear a beeping sound and the filter life hours on the display screen. It means the unit reset is finished, and the replacement is successful.
Filter Types And Features
Shark air purifier has choices of filters. Look at the unique features of each filter below:
- True Hepa filter. It gets rid of 99.97% of air microbes and is built with carbon for protection against odor and VOCs.
- True Hepa filter with advanced odor lock. It gets rid of 99.97% of air particles and is built with carbon for upgraded protection against odor and VOCs.
- True Hepa filter with advanced odor lock and fumes lock. It gets rid of 99.97% of air particles and is built with carbon for upgraded protection against odor and VOCs. Also, it guards against fumes, such as formaldehyde, from plants, flooring, and furniture.
There are other buttons on the control panel of the Shark air purifier. It is also significant to be familiar with them to know some signals and indications regarding the demand for your unit.
The top control panel has seven buttons:
- the on/off button,
- the air info button
- auto mode button
- filter life button
- brightness button
- shut-off timer button
- fan speed button
A ring in the front of your unit changes from blue to yellow to red. It tells you the quality of the air indoors. The blue ring means the air is good, with 85 to 100% quality. The yellow ring is fair, while the red one is poor, with 0 to 69% quality.
Safety And Maintenance
Handling an appliance with care and knowledge will lead to a longer lifespan. Know how to take care of it and what you should and not do with your unit. Here are some tips to know in keeping your unit operating safely and correctly:
- Place your unit cord away from a traffic area. Place it somewhere open without any cover, such as a carpet or rug but at the same time from possible trippings.
- Keep away from children. In case, it should always be with supervision.
- Keep away from water sources or heat. Operate the unit with dry hands.
- Do not turn on the unit without the filter.
- Keep away from dust, hair, or anything that can block the airflow.
- It is not advisable to use your unit outdoors.
- You can clean the unit's body or case with soapy water and a clean cloth but not other chemicals.
- Also, monitor and check how much filter life is left. So you can prepare to replace it for continuous use.
- Keep the area where you put your unit clean. So, the unit won't be overworking, or you need to replace the filter earlier than the regular time period for replacement.
- Consider placing your unit on an even and steady surface to avoid bumping, clashing, or falling, which can destroy your unit.
How Long Does A Shark Air Filter Last?
It is recommendable to replace the Shark air purifier filter every 6 to 12 months. But, you can change it earlier than that once the filter light flashes or you see that the room is high with pollutants or a traffic area. In hours, your Shark air purifier filter has 4,400 hrs. to consume.
How Long Does It Take An Air Purifier To Clean A Room?
Your Shark air purifier has a ring with a light indication of indoor air quality. The setting of your air purifier, the size of the room, and the air quality affect the time when your unit can clean the entire area.
Usually, a small room can have clean air in 30 min. with an air purifier running. But, bigger rooms can take up to 3 hrs.
Why Does My Shark Air Purifier Always Read 100?
100 or 100% indicates the level of air quality in your room while your unit is running. It means your indoor air quality is excellent. The room has clean air.
However, it can change anytime with activities in the house that can contaminate the air's quality, such as smoking, dusting, cooking, or spraying cleaning agents.
Do Air Purifiers Make A Room Colder?
An air purifier doesn't make a room colder. You can improve indoor air circulation by setting your unit on a high fan speed. Pair it with a fan or air conditioner if you want your room to get cooler.
Your Shark air purifier filter light is flickering because the filter life is up. You need to replace it with a new one. The old filter should not be recycled or cleaned. Dispose of it appropriately. Replacing your filter is easy-breezy, and you only need a few materials to clean the dust surrounding the unit.
Discover more about filters for your air purifier in these posts: