Your Stiebel Eltron water heater can cause problems if it keeps tripping. You may be wondering why the problem occurs frequently and what can you do to fix the issue. We researched these concerns, and here’s what we found.
A Stiebel Eltron water heater may frequently trip because of reasons like hard water buildup or a faulty flow sensor. You should troubleshoot the cause of the issue and then use the appropriate solution based on your findings to restore the system's normal functions.
Continue reading as we talk in greater detail about the possible reasons why a Stiebel Eltron water heater keeps tripping. We’ll also tackle the potential solutions to each underlying issue.
3 Reasons Stiebel Eltron Water Heater Keeps Tripping (And Possible Fixes)
Scaling or scale buildup generally appears in water heaters, including Stiebel Eltron models, because of hard water. Hard water typically occurs when significant amounts of certain minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, react to nearby environmental elements.
Failure to remove scale buildup in your Stiebel Eltron water heater may cause the device to accumulate buildup in the heat exchanger. Doing so may make the machine work harder than usual, causing it to trip frequently.
How To Fix
Applying a descaling solution may help remove the hard water buildup from your Stiebel Eltron water heater. Here are the general steps to complete this task:
What You’ll Need
- White vinegar
- Two hoses
- Sump pump
- Large bucket
- Turn off the valve for the water heater’s gas line.
- Drain the excess water from the hot and water valves.
- Connect the hoses to the terminals next to the hot and cold water valves.
- Attach the other end of the hoses to the sump pump. Place the sump pump in the bucket afterward.
- Pour the white vinegar into the bucket and turn on the sump pump.
- Leave the sump pump running for about 60 to 90 minutes.
- Turn off the sump pump and restore the settings for the valves in the water heater’s framework.
- Turn on the water heater and check its performance to investigate if it still trips frequently.
Tip: Descale your water heater at least once a year. That way, you can reduce the likelihood of significant scale buildup and frequent tripping.
You can also watch this video for more details on this procedure. The video shows the descaling process of another tankless water heater model. Nonetheless, the steps to help remove the hard water buildup from your Stiebel Eltron model should still be similar.
Faulty Flow Sensor
Water heaters like the models manufactured by Stiebel Eltron have flow sensors. These small assemblies function by identifying the demand for the systems to produce hot water. Flow sensors also help in starting the water-heating process.
A bad flow sensor may interrupt the water-heating procedure, which may cause problems for the system. One of the possible results of the sensor failing is when the water heater trips repeatedly.
How To Fix
Replacing the bad flow sensor may help restore the Stiebel Eltron water heater’s normal functions. Bear in mind that some parts of the procedure to replace the faulty component may vary depending on your specific water heater model. Consult your owner’s manual before attempting the replacement.
Once you’re ready to proceed, continue by following these general steps:
What You’ll Need
- Cloth or rag
- Replacement flow sensor
- Disconnect the water heater from its power source. Turn off the system from its connected breaker if needed.
- Open the water heater’s front panel and locate the faulty flow sensor.
- Drain the excess hot and cold water in the heater according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Disconnect the wiring attached to the flow sensor carefully.
- Remove the nut and washer on the bad flow sensor and pull out the assembly.
- Install the new flow sensor to the same location and orientation as the old unit.
- Turn on the Stiebel Eltron water heater, along with its valves.
- Wait until the water heater gathers sufficient water flow from the property’s main water supply.
- Allow the water heater to run for a few minutes to check if it still trips.
Watch this video for more information on the process mentioned above.
If your Stiebel Eltron water heater was not installed properly, you may encounter numerous problems with the system. These issues may also include the water heater tripping regularly or it may not produce hot water as intended.
How To Fix
Reinstalling the Stiebel Eltron water heater and following the correct initial setup procedure may help ensure that the system works correctly. You can follow the steps below to complete the installation.
Note: The following procedure assumes that you have removed and disassembled the water heater. This will enable you to take advantage of a fresh start for the installation.
What You’ll Need
- Hand drill
- Wire crimpers
- Wire brackets
- Teflon tape
- Stiebel Eltron water heater installation kit
- Turn off the circuit breakers you’re going to use for the water heater.
- Mount and secure the water heater panel onto the desired location.
- Route the electrical wiring from the circuit breaker through the water heater panel’s hole (found underneath the encasement).
- Crimp the ends of the wires from the circuit breakers if necessary.
- Connect the stripped ends of the wires to the correct terminals in the water heater panel.
- Secure the wires into place but avoid overtightening them.
- Secure any dangling wires into the wall using brackets.
- Assemble the pipes for the water heater according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Use Teflon tape to thread the connectors and improve their seals.
- Connect the hoses from the water heater to the property’s main water supply lines.
- Turn on the circuit breaker for the Stiebel Eltron water heater.
- Turn on the water heater and open the valves.
- Turn on a faucet connected to the water heater to check for leaks and electrical issues.
- Allow the faucet to run water for a few minutes to inspect if the water heater still trips.
Note: Installing a Stiebel Eltron water heater is generally a DIY-friendly job, but don’t hesitate to contact a certified plumber to help with the initial setup. The plumber can help put the system together, particularly if you think the job is too much for you to handle.
Watch the video below to gain additional insights into this procedure.
How Do I Reset My Stiebel Eltron Heater?
Resetting your Stiebel Eltron water heater may also help solve the issue of the machine tripping frequently. Here are the general steps to complete this procedure:
- Turn off the Stiebel Eltron water heater from its connected circuit breaker.
- Loosen and remove the screw securing the water heater’s front panel.
- Open the front panel and locate the thermal safety reset button. You may find this component at the top of the copper heating unit.
- Press the button until it clicks.
- Return the front panel cover and secure it.
- Restore power to the Stiebel Eltron water heater and check if the tripping problem persists.
How Much Does It Cost To Repair A Water Heater?
Water heater owners should prepare to spend about $506 to take advantage of professional services to repair their faulty units. Be wary as the costs may differ based on certain factors, such as the technician’s expertise and the property’s location.
But you may need to spend about $1,300 to $5,500 to replace your water heater if the technician believes your old system to be irreparable.
If your Stiebel Eltron water heater trips frequently, you should stop using it until you identify and fix the cause of the problem.
Once you figure out the reason for the recurring malfunction, use the appropriate DIY solution to solve the problem from its source. Otherwise, contact industry professionals to help repair the unit.
If you’re looking for answers to other water heater concerns, check out these other great reads: