Are you having trouble finding the fuse in your Freightliner Cascadia? Well, don't worry! We researched the answer for you.
The Freightliner Cascadia's AC compressor fuse is behind the glove box. Follow the steps below to access the fuse:
- Clear the objects on the glove box.
- Unscrew the four corners.
- Pull the glove box out. There's a paper sticker that tells you what kind of fuse the unit has.
- Find the velcro tape on the glove box, then pull it off.
- Now, remove the panel light. The fuse is connected to the wires and is measured as small as a thumb.
In this article, we'll discuss the importance of a fuse in a Freightliner Cascadia and how you check its condition. You'll understand how it functions and what the signs are to replace it. Let's continue reading!
Where Is The Fuse In A Freightliner Cascadia AC Compressor?
The fuse's primary purpose on a car's compressor is to protect the condenser from being overexposed to amperage or flow of electricity. Without the fuse, the power supply will continue to transmit electrical energy through the air conditioning system as long as the unit is turned on.
On a Freightliner Cascadia, you can find the fuse of its AC compressor in the glove box or the small compartment on the car's front panel. You need to unscrew it to access the fuse.
There's also a fuse at the car's back hood, but that's for the tail light. This fuse is usually on the driver's side of the vehicle.
How to Tell if the AC Compressor Fuse Needs Replacement
It's essential to understand when the car's AC compressor needs a new fuse. So, familiarize yourself below with some signs of a blown a fuse.
Inability to Cool Down Temperature
The compressor not turning on is an obvious sign that the AC relay is malfunctioning. When the air conditioner is turned on, you should also hear the compressor switch turn on. Otherwise, if you don't hear the clutch engage when you turn it on, it could be due to a faulty relay.
Damaged Field Coil
A field coil is a component that generates a rotating field, producing 3–4 amps of current. However, if the field coil is damaged, it can carry up to 10 amps of current.
When this surge of current occurs, the fuse in your air conditioner is likely to blow. This usually happens after a long drive or when the air conditioner is turned on and off several times in a single trip.
A large amount of current will flow through the circuit if the wires do not provide enough resistance. Alternatively, the copper wires may come into contact due to a lack of insulation, resulting in a short circuit.
Wire repair can be complicated. If you are unfamiliar with it, it can also be dangerous. Consider hiring a mechanic to inspect the wiring in your vehicle's air conditioning system.
Broken AC Pressure Switch
Your car air conditioner should regulate pressure to constantly switch the state of the refrigerant from liquid to gas. If your pressure switch fails, the pressure will go high, resulting in the compressor motor malfunction. When this happens, the AC there may blow.
How to Replace the Fuse in a Freightliner Cascadia AC Compressor
It's best to consult the manufacturer before replacing the fuse. The manufacturer can guide you on the proper procedure and help you find a suitable replacement fuse.
You can use a multimeter to test the fuse.
However, should you need to do it yourself, you can follow the steps below:
- Unscrew the front panel to remove the glove box
- Prepare the flashlight and a multimeter. Refer to the product's guide to turn on the multimeter.
- Point the multimeter on both ends of the fuse. If it flashes on both sides, then the fuse is working. Otherwise, you might need to replace it.
- To identify what kind of fuse to buy, read the description and the diagram on the glove box.
- please ensure the car engine is turned off before replacing the fuse.
- Pull the faulty fuse out using pliers.
- Dispose of the old fuse properly in a trash bin.
- Attach the new fuse according to the correct placement.
- Turn on the engine to test that the fuse is successfully installed.
- Cover and screw the glove box.
Watch this video for a quick visual guide:
Why the AC Compressor Doesn't Work?
Ensure the air conditioning system. Check below some possible reasons.
The AC filter is probably too dirty, preventing airflow. You'll want to clean the filter more often to avoid inhaling the dirt.
Follow the steps below:
- Press the recirculation button on the left side of the panel.
- Open the filter cabin by pushing its bottom part
- Take the cover out to see the filter inside.
- Remove the filter. It's like foam and usually white.
- Wash the filter in a basin of water and soap. You can also replace it with a new one.
- Let the filter get dry before putting it back in place.
- Close the filter cabin and turn on the AC.
Here's a visual demonstration of the steps we have discussed:
Overusing the AC
It's essential to put the AC and other car components to rest when not in use. Doing so will save energy and keep the system in good condition.
However, modern vehicles don't require turning off the AC when the engine is on. The AC automatically turns off when you turn off the car itself and stop driving. In this case, you'll want to give hours to put the vehicle to rest before using it again.
How to Refill the Refrigerant on Freightliner Cascadia
The air conditioning system will only work if there's enough refrigerant. Refrigerant is a substance that's responsible for cooling down the air temperature. Insufficient refrigerant can even cause damage to the unit.
See below the steps on how to refill the refrigerant on Freightliner Cascadia:
- Prepare a can of refrigerant R-34, depending on the car manufacturer's recommendation.
- Ensure that the Freightliner is turned on.
- Open the front hood and find the small box on the upper left side.
- Plug in the refrigerant on top.
- Press the handle button on the refrigerant.
- See the tiny gauge on the refrigerant to check if it's complete.
- Pull the refrigerant out, then close the front hood.
- Check and test the air conditioning system to see if the temperature is cooling.
You can refer to this video if you need a visual step-by-step guide:
How Much Is Car AC Recharge?
A professional service to refill the refrigerant in your car's AC system can cost you $150 to $300, depending on the car model. You'll want to seek guidance from the manufacturer to make sure it doesn't cause damage to your AC system and the car's engine.
Freightliner Cascadia Warranty
You get to enjoy 1–2 years of warranty depending on your Freightliner Cascadia type. The coverage of the warranty includes essential car parts and factory defects. However, the range might vary depending on your agreement with the manufacturer.
You'll want to read the warranty in the manual before repairing or changing any car parts. This will help you retain entitlement to the contract as long as it's still valid.
What Is Freightliner Roadside Assistance?
It's a service from Freightliner to support their customers who need assistance on the road. The aid includes guidance in changing tires, towing services, fuel concerns, and other services.
You can call this service, and authorized personnel will address your concern. However, charges may apply depending on what you need.
It's such another helpful article. We learned where to find the fuse on the AC compressor in Freightliner Cascadia. We also discussed replacing the fuse and other vital matters, such as troubleshooting the AC and warranty details.
Are you ready to learn more? Check out these related articles: