Trying to operate your Lochinvar device presented you with a soft lockout issue. Now, you’re wondering what could be the cause of this problem. Also, what can you do to fix it? We researched and consulted with different experts to give you the following answer.
The main cause of a soft lockout ignition failure on a Lochinvar unit often depends on certain factors. For instance, think about the type of device you’re using. So troubleshoot the machine first while following the owner’s manual. Then, use the appropriate method to get rid of the soft lockout.
So continue reading as we talk about the possible reasons why a Lochinvar unit presents you with a soft lockout ignition failure. We’ll also tackle the potential solutions to each problem.
Reasons For Soft Lockout Ignition Failure On A Lochinvar (And Their Possible Fixes)
Take note that Lochinvar produces and sells different hot water solutions, ranging from boilers to water heaters. Using the incorrect method in an attempt to fix the soft lockout ignition fault may result in further harm to the unit.
In this section, you'll learn about the possible reasons for the soft lockout ignition failure based on different Lochinvar heating products:
This problem generally occurs on different Lochinvar products, particularly the company’s line of gas water heaters. Take note that the igniter is typically responsible for lighting the system’s heating element.
But this component isn’t impervious to harm and may fail eventually. Pay attention to certain signs that an igniter is about to go bad. Aside from bringing you the soft lockout ignition failure issue, other symptoms to watch out for are:
- Failure to supply hot air or water
- The machine fails to engage
- The heating unit cycles frequently
- It trips the breaker regularly
How To Fix
Replacing the igniter is often the best solution to ensure the Lochinvar heating device works normally and optimally. But the specific steps to change this component often depend on your specific Lochinvar product.
Nonetheless, here are the steps the replace an igniter in a Lochinvar gas furnace to help give you an insight into how to complete this procedure:
What You’ll Need
- Philips screwdriver
- Wire cutter
- Wire crimper
- Replacement igniter
- Turn off the machine.
- Remove the screws securing the front panels. Pull out the front panels afterward and set them aside temporarily.
- Locate the faulty igniter and disconnect its wiring carefully.
- Loosen and remove the screws securing the igniter.
- Pull out the bad igniter from its mounting position.
- Slide the new igniter’s gasket through its igniting element carefully.
- Cut and crimp the new igniter’s wire to size.
- Install and secure the new igniter in the same location as the old unit.
- Attach and secure the new igniter’s wiring to the Lochinvar heater.
- Turn on the machine to check if the soft lockout issue disappears and it now works properly.
- If the gas heater now works as intended, return and secure the front panels.
Warning: Avoid changing the faulty igniter with a random unit. Ensure that the replacement model is compatible with your Lochinvar heating system. Failure to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations may put the device in further harm.
You can also watch this video if you need a visual guide for this procedure:
The burner generally functions by supplying the necessary heat to convert water in the machine to steam. The steam then helps regulate the needed temperature so the heating unit works as intended. You can find this component in different boilers on the market, including those from Lochinvar.
However, dirt and other particulates can enter the boiler, causing errors like the soft lockout ignition failure. Aside from this fault, other possible signs that may help dictate that the boiler burner is at fault are:
- Strange smells coming from the heating system
- Little to no heat supplied
- Higher energy bills than usual
- Unknown noises emanate from the heating unit if it works
How To Fix
Cleaning the burner and removing debris latched onto it may help restore the Lochinvar heating unit’s normal functions. Here are the general steps you can follow to complete this task:
What You’ll Need
- Allen or hex key wrench set
- Philips screwdriver
- Torx screwdriver
- Air compressor kit
- Turn off the Lochinvar boiler by toggling its switch to the off position.
- Turn off the main gas valve connected to the boiler.
- Lift and remove the top and front panels. Set these parts aside temporarily.
- Disconnect the wires connected to the main control board carefully.
- Disconnect the wires connected to the combustion blower.
- Loosen and remove the screws securing the heating unit’s bezel. Remove the bezel and set it aside afterward.
- Use an appropriately sized Allen or hex key wrench to remove the screws securing the gas valve venturi.
- Disconnect the wires from the ground terminal and flame rod igniter.
- Loosen and remove the nuts securing the heat exchanger’s door. Remove that cover, along with the blower and gas air arm afterward.
- Use the Torx screwdriver to remove the screws on the heat exchanger’s door.
- Remove the boiler burner from the heat exchanger door assembly carefully.
- Use an air compressor set a reasonable pressure setting to remove loose dirt and debris from the boiler burner.
- Reinstall the burner to the heat exchanger door assembly.
- Go through steps 3 to 11 in reverse order to reassemble the Lochinvar boiler’s parts.
- Turn on the boiler to check if the soft lockout ignition failure issue persists.
Take note that any sign of physical harm existing on the boiler burner typically means that you need to replace it instead of cleaning it.
Note: Although it may seem like a reasonably straightforward job, it’s best to leave this task to a certified contractor or technician. Working with the Lochinvar boiler without sufficient confidence and know-how about the machine may put it at risk of encountering additional faults.
Watch this clip to see a visual representation of the steps mentioned above:
How To Troubleshoot A Lochinvar?
Troubleshooting your Lochinvar heating unit can help you find the cause of the soft lockout ignition failure. Follow these general steps to find the reason for this fault. You may also find other potential problems and intercept them before they get worse:
- Label all the wires or take a picture of the wiring with your smartphone to remember their placements for the reassembly.
- Turn off the machine and check the different parts, including the igniter, for open circuits. Ensure that the voltmeter or multimeter you’re using shows 0 volts.
- Inspect the wires for signs of frays or cuts.
- Check the control board and its fuses for signs of blowouts, overloads, and short circuits.
- Investigate other parts and assemblies for anomalies.
How Do I Reset My Lochinvar Boiler?
Resetting a Lochinvar unit, particularly a boiler, may also remove its soft lockout ignition failure issue. You only need to find the reset button on the machine and press it. Wait for the unit to reboot. Then, check if the fault persists.
Watch this short clip to see this short process in action:
What Brand Of Water Heater Is The Most Reliable?
Apart from Lochinvar, you might also find it interesting to look at other reliable water heater brands. If so, one example is Rheem, a company that’s been in the heating sector for about 100 years. Aside from water heaters, Rheem offers other pieces of equipment like furnaces, air conditioners, and heat pumps.
Another water heating company to note is Bosch. This brand manufactures and retails different water-heating systems, along with other products like DIY tools. It even has over 400 thousand associates globally. Plus, it has over a century of experience, starting from its founder Robert Bosch in 1886.
Remember to troubleshoot your Lochinvar heating system by following the steps mentioned in this post. That way, you’re likely to find the cause of the soft lockout ignition failure. You may then proceed by using the appropriate solution based on your findings. If you believe you can’t handle the upcoming task, contact a certified and trustworthy industry professional for assistance.
If you’re looking for answers to other heating system concerns, check out these other great posts: