Toilet soft close has been a groundbreaking invention. Being more practical and modern, it produces minimal sound compared to the traditional noisy-sounding toilet seat. If you have this soft-close feature that won't work anymore and you're not sure how to fix it, you're in luck! We have scoured the net to help you solve the issue.
If your toilet soft close is not working, you can try doing any of these techniques:
- Adjust the hinges of the toilet seat.
- Tighten your soft close toilet seat bolts.
- Remove or replace the toilet seat.
The problem with having loose hinges or defects in a soft close toilet is that it defeats the main purpose of your purchase. If this is your problem, then hang tight as this post will guide you on what to do with this glitch. We will also provide you with more helpful information about soft-close toilet seats.
Troubleshooting A Toilet Soft Close That's Not Working
Fixing a toilet soft close can be as easy as repairing any other furniture in your house. We have provided here an easy-to-follow list to help you fix your problem:
1. Adjust the hinges of the toilet seat
If the problem with your soft-close toilet seat is its hinges (it might be loose or broken), then consider following these methods. Remember to apply what's best in your situation and if needed, ask for assistance.
Slow down the metal peg-style hinges
- Open your toilet seat and look for metal hinges that look like vertical pegs.
- Lift the toilet seat straight up from the hinges in an upright position.
- Upon removal, set the toilet seat upside-down and start fixing it.
- Pull out the cylindrical dampers on both sides of the back of the seat by grabbing the dampers between your fingers.
- If your soft-close toilet is adjustable, try rotating the dampers backward to make it tight.
- Slide the hinge back and put the toilet seat back on the toilet bowl.
If your toilet seat has plastic clip-on hinges, make adjustments
- Look for a rectangular plastic cover at the back of the toilet seat.
- Slide the seat forward and remove it.
- Place the soft-close upside down on a flat surface and start working on it.
- Use needle-nose pliers and pull the cylindrical dampers out of the hinges.
- Turn the hinge dampers towards the toilet seat.
- Push the hinge dampers back into the hinge assembly.
- Slide it back onto the bolts of the toilet bowl.
2. Tighten your soft close toilet seat bolts
This is another guide to help you with adjusting the hinges in your soft close toilet seat. As we have discussed before this section, to adjust hinges, you should know how to tighten the bolts and hinges as well as how to close toilet dampers.
- You should locate the two bolts that attach your toilet seat to the bowl. Gently turn them by using a screwdriver.
- After exposing the toilet seat bolts, screw them clockwise till they no longer turn.
- In installing your seat hinge, you should unscrew the bolt counterclockwise. Reinstall the bolts then screw them again.
If you plan to replace the bolts instead of simply adjusting them, then here are the steps you need to follow:
- Replacing bolts usually occur when your bolts don't budge. In this case, you should cut them off using a miniature hacksaw all the way through the metal.
- Clear the debris and spin each nut of the bolts counterclockwise to remove it.
- Put the replacement bolts and hinges (if needed) back to the toilet seat and reattach the toilet seat back to the toilet bowl.
3. Remove or replace the toilet seat
A toilet seat damper is also important in a soft close toilet seat. This is used for fittings and serves as an obstruction in a certain motion. There are different types of dampers but we are going to be focusing on those that apply to soft close toilets.
In removing or adjusting dampers you simply do the following:
- Locate the two screw covers at the back of the toilet seat, and use a flathead screwdriver to unscrew the nut.
- After removing both the bolt and the nut, remove the seat from the bowl and clean it to remove any dirt.
- Put the screw back in the holes and use the adhesive washers and slide them along each bolt until it makes contact with the same.
- Use your hands or a plier to tighten the plastic nut until it stops.
A toilet seat damper should look like this:
[PIN id="547750373437574256" size="large"] [/PIN]
How do soft close toilet seat hinges work?
The hinges in the toilet seat are key material in making the toilet seat close slowly and softly. Take note however that there are various types of toilet seat hinges. Hinges serve as the glue to the toilet seat and the toilet bowl. It safeguards the proper function of the toilet in order to avoid any obstruction.
Soft close toilet hinges are known to be straightforward when it is utilized and used properly. So make sure to take care of it properly.
This is an example of a toilet seat that has a soft close hinge:
[PIN id="1090152653525194648" size="large"] [/PIN]
What are the different kinds of soft close toilet seats?
In order to properly fix your soft close toilet seat, you not only need to know the type of hinge it has. You also need to know what kind of soft close toilet it is.
- Top mount soft close toilet seat - This seat gives you the convenience of fixing it by simply removing it from the top.
- Bottom mount soft close toilet seat - For this seat, you have to bend and unscrew the hinge from underneath the bowl.
- Standard soft close toilet seat - It does not have a quick-release mechanism and is fixed.
- Quick-release soft close toilet seat - This is usually a seat that is good for sanitary purposes. In fixing this, you just have to push and slide the seat out.
You should also take note that if you are thinking of replacing your toilet seat, the shape and size is important. It's not just about the mechanisms. This will help you determine what kind of toilet seat is the best fit for your bowl.
What are the benefits of a soft close toilet seat?
Having a soft close toilet seat in your house can be very reassuring because it means that there is no more slamming noise in your bathroom. This kind of toilet seat is considered to be safer when there is a child in your house as it closes slowly, therefore avoiding any injury. It also is considered hygienic because you don't have to touch the toilet seat longer than before when you close it.
To fix your soft close toilet seat when it is not working properly, it is important to first find out what kind of soft close seat it is and what mechanics it is equipped with. This is vital because you cannot fix your seat properly without this information. Also, it is better if you let a plumber repair it as they have the skills to properly do the job.
A soft close toilet seat has many advantages. It does not produce noise and it does prevent accidents, especially if you have a child in your house. You can even improve its quality when you try to replace its parts or when you fix it. But take extra care of it so that it will last long.
For more toilet-related articles, you might want to check out the following: