Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
It’s a cold winter day, and you’re about to turn on your Mr. Cool heating unit, but the appliance isn’t working. So now you’re wondering why your Mr. is Cool won’t heat and how to fix it. We researched these concerns for you to give you the following answer.
A Mr. Cool heating unit may not provide comfortable heat because it encountered a problem. These issues may range from the appliance not having sufficient power to unwanted gaps in rooms’ doors and windows. Make sure to troubleshoot the device and the surrounding area to find the source of the concern.
Continue reading as we talk about these possible problems in greater detail. We’ll also tackle some step-by-step guides that contain potential solutions to help restore your Mr. Cool’s normal functions.
Why Is My Mr. Cool Not Heating?
A Mr. Cool appliance may not provide sufficient heat because of different underlying problems. Some of these possible issues are:
Little To No Power
Make sure that your Mr. Cool appliance is receiving power from your home’s wiring. If not, you may need to check the connected circuit breaker to see if it tripped.
Oftentimes, you’ll know if the breaker connected to your Mr. Cool unit tripped if it turned off without human intervention.
Take note that circuit breakers can trip because of different reasons, such as:
- Ground faults
- Short circuits
- Arc faults
The circuit breaker might also be going bad if these problems keep reoccurring. Replacing the module with a new unit may help solve the problem.
Aside from the circuit breaker, don’t forget to check for visible damages to the appliance’s power cord. Pests might be chewing on it, causing the wires to fray and making the heating unit lose power.
Wrong Temperature Setting
Check the onboard display on your Mr. Cool appliance to see if the temperature has the appropriate setting. If not, adjust the temperature setting on the main unit or the connected thermostat.
Take note that a heat pump often becomes ineffective when the set temperature drops below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Also, the appliance may function when the temperature drops below 30 degrees, but it's likely that no heat will come out of the unit.
Also, keep in mind that Mr. Cool's products only work with the brand's proprietary thermostats. These heating units may also work with some aftermarket thermostats.
Check your owner’s manual or consult Mr. Cool’s customer service hotline to check for thermostats that work with the heating system.
Blocked Air Filter
HVAC systems, including those from Mr. Cool, can be susceptible to harm if clogs appear in their air filters. Aside from not being able to supply comfortable heat, a blocked filter may also become a precursor to other problems, such as:
- Frozen condenser or evaporator coils
- Bad air quality
- Increased energy costs
- Complete heating unit failure
Take note that surrounding dirt and debris may enter your Mr. Cool appliance. These can build up over time, causing the filter to become dirty, inefficient, and prone to other concerns.
Active 3-Minute Protection
Some Mr. Cool products deny their users to use these appliances after 3 minutes from the previous shutoff protocol. This active protection feature helps protect the compressor from potential overuse.
Once initiated, it’s best to wait for the feature to turn off by itself before you use the appliance again.
Gaps In Doors And Windows
Aside from checking your Mr. Cool appliance, sometimes the problem lies within the room. For instance, unwanted gaps in the space’s doors and windows may cause the provided heat to escape.
Check for these issues and use the appropriate sealing techniques for these methods may help restore comfortable heating for the area.
How To Fix Mr. Cool Not Heating?
Remember, the precise steps to fix a Mr. Cool heating unit that's not heating often depend on the main problem. In this section, you’ll learn some possible solutions to fix your heating appliance based on the issue’s origins:
Replace Bad Circuit Breaker
Replace the circuit breaker connected to the Mr. Cool unit if you find faults like:
- Frequent circuit breaker trips
- Inefficient performance caused by age
- Unknown heat coming from the breaker
- Visible signs of harm (e.g., frayed wiring or scorched marks)
Next, make sure to practice proper safety precautions while working with the electrical service panel.
For instance, turn off the main breaker to avoid electrocution and other possible injuries. Also, wear protective equipment like safety gloves and goggles.
After completing the necessary preparations, continue this process by following these steps:
What You’ll Need
- Replacement circuit breaker
- Painter’s tape
- Open the electrical service panel and turn off the main breaker.
- Locate the faulty circuit breaker and remove it by pulling its tab.
- Unscrew and take out the hot wires connected to the breaker.
- Install the hot wires to the replacement circuit breaker.
- Place and secure the new circuit breaker into the appropriate bracket.
- Turn on the replacement breaker and restore power to the mains.
- Test the Mr. Cool heating unit if it works and provides heat as intended.
Watch the video below to gain additional insight into this procedure, particularly in choosing the correct replacement breaker for your appliance:
Program The Correct Temperature Setting
Take note that Mr. Cool has different appliances that can provide heat ranging from air conditioners to heat pumps.
Oftentimes, you can change the temperature settings using the onboard controls. Another option is to use the Mr. Cool SmartHVAC app, which you can take advantage of by following these steps:
- Download and install the Mr. Cool SmartHVAC app from the Google Play Store (for Android) or the Apple App Store (for iOS).
- Open the app and enter your Mr. Cool username and password. If you don’t have these credentials yet, you need to create them first before you can proceed.
- Once logged in, tap the “Add Device” button that should immediately appear.
- Select the Mr. Cool product that you want to link with your smartphone from the list that appears.
- Follow the instructions for your specific device provided to you by the app.
- Once you tap "Finish," go to your mobile phone's Wi-Fi settings and select the network name that has "SmartHVAC” in it.
- Return to the Mr. Cool app once your smartphone connects to the appliance’s wireless network.
- Name the device by using the default names or create a custom one. Tap “Next” afterward.
- Wait for both devices to finish pairing, then tap “Done.”
- Return to the Mr. Cool app’s home screen and select the newly paired device.
- Change the appliance’s temperature setting by moving the slider.
You can also watch this video to see the steps mentioned above in action:
Aside from adjusting the temperature, the app also offers some features that are unique for specific units. Some examples include weekly scheduling, zone control, and usage reports.
Replace The Unit
Perhaps your Mr. Cool heating system still isn’t giving you the correct temperature setting after troubleshooting and repairing it. If so, it might be time to replace the unit with a new model.
You may also check with the company if your heating unit is still under warranty to help you mitigate some costs.
How Do You Turn On Heat On Mr. Cool?
Take note that the steps for turning on the heat on your Mr. Cool appliance generally depend on your specific model. So it's advisable to check your owner's manual for this procedure.
However, some Mr. Cool units allow users to change the mode through the accompanying remote. Find the "Mode" button on the remote and press it a few times.
You should see the mode switch on the remote's screen with each press of the button. Stop pressing the button when you see the word "Heat" displayed.
You should troubleshoot your Mr. Cool appliance to find out the main reason why it’s not heating. Follow through with the repair process by using the steps based on your findings.
You might think about replacing the unit if the issue reoccurs frequently or if the costs outweigh the appliance’s value.
If you liked this post and want to know more about Mr. Cool's products, check out these other great reads: